Hyphen | Teen Ink

Hyphen MAG

November 5, 2015
By teadragons GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
teadragons GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Hyphen” is a beautifully written memoir by Matthew Sun about being a Chinese-American. Matthew is stuck at an awkward halfway point between two cultures. He is exposed to the “typical Chinese” stereotype, as many are, but is also belittled by his family in China because he cannot speak fluent Chinese. As a Chinese-American, I can relate to the assumptions and labels that Matthew is subjected to.

When I first read “Hyphen,” I was surprised and ecstatic that someone had the courage to write about this topic. Since the stereotype that all Chinese people are smart, quiet, and introverted is so widespread and accepted, I was shocked when I saw this article in Teen Ink.

From people basing my intelligence on the fact that I am Chinese to family members mocking my flawed Mandarin, I can totally sympathize with Matthew’s experiences. One line in particular really struck me. Matthew writes, “My parents have shown me that surrendering to anger accomplishes nothing, opening my eyes to the reality that one ordinary boy cannot stop widespread ignorance.” I feel like this is the mindset many have when dealing with ignorant people who don’t understand how offensive it is to assume things. Matthew’s story really resonated with me, as I am sure it did with many others.