Feedback on The Flaw in My Facebook | Teen Ink

Feedback on The Flaw in My Facebook

By pottervian GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
pottervian GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"The Flaw in My Facebook" by Kiara Huemer is a memoir that discusses how the reality of accessible Internet anywhere at anytime is impacting our lives. The relatable narrative discusses the addiction the author has to the Internet and how it results in a lack of sleep and a great deal of procrastination. This riveting piece is something everyone of all ages can relate back to due to the Internet being in everyone's life. The author does a perfect job in mentioning parts of the Internet that everyone visits and how the bright screen on your laptop can be an addiction. 

I found this piece extremely interesting because it relates completely back to my life. I often find myself scrolling down my Instagram feed when I should be studying or watching YouTube videos until 2 A.M. As much as I try to avoid doing this, my addiction to the Internet overcomes my wanting to quit it. The author does an absolutely fantastic job at portraying this addiction. As stated in the memoir, "I'll avoid eye contact to keep her from seeing the guilt staining my eyes. I'll keep the truth. It won't be homework." This statement perfectly decpicts how even though we want the Internet to not be our way of spending time, it will be just that. The Internet is a drug that we cannot get away from and the author does not sugar coat it. She admits her dilemma, and knows it's not a snap of the fingers to fix it.