Feedback on Impact | Teen Ink

Feedback on Impact

By Zehra13 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Zehra13 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

The memoir "Impact" by "Sylvia" Worcester is an empathetic story of the loss and gain of friendship. It is a story of heart-wrenching betrayal when young "Sylvia" made a new friend. Or that was what Angela was called. She was more commanding and took charge of "Sylvia" and her best friend Julie giving them the "rules" of freindship. Eventually, "Sylvia" tired from Angela's decisive stance. She broke away from the group and from that day on Angela would torment "Sylvia" and lay hold of every friend she gained. This led to "Sylvia"'s grave illness that will haunt her from that year on.  This story can be relatable for teenagers who went through the same thing when they were younger and faced the same conflicts. It gave a realistic mood and one can feel the ache of their heart as they unravel the story.

"Impact" left me feeling grateful for the friends I had around me. I sometimes took them for granted in which I know we all do. Freindship may all seem to us as a person to talk to or walk through the days of middle and high school. But it is much more than that and to lose one is like losing yourself too. The piece reiterate that cheerless tactility. This doleful line grasped my attention, "When I was around Angela and Julie I felt lonely, and when I was not I still felt lonely." The author had clearly experienced the solitude and loss of ones who are closest to her to another. This story also has a lesson to be learned, don't let friends take advantage of you and don't take friends for granted. They are special and freindship is a thing to be treasured.