Feedback on The Flaw in my Facebook | Teen Ink

Feedback on The Flaw in my Facebook

By greninjash GOLD, New York City, New York
greninjash GOLD, New York City, New York

The fantastic memoir "The Flaw in My Facebook" by Kiara Huemer was by far one of my favorite. Huemer skillfully narrates her life as a busy teenager, how she is bombarded with tons of homework, responsibilities, and most of all, deadlines. She tells about how she keeps procrastinating, wasting valuable working time by browsing through Facebook and Netflix instead. All her stress immediately subsides the moment she departs from reality, entering the world of cat videos, selfies, and no worries at all. Heumer isn't afraid to get deep and philosophical, wondering why she is so easily drawn to social media. She says a girl with such high expectations simply can't afford to wait until the last minute to complete an assignment.

However, Huemer's trump card for this outstanding article was how relatable it was. As teenagers, this level of pressure is natural, and all of us must learn to cope with it sooner or later. There will be times where you feel like quitting, that school is simply too much for you to handle. There will be days where you would do anything to get just one night of restless sleep. We deal with them by escaping somewhere, to a place that holds a special meaning to us, where we can truly be at peace. And what better place to seek refuge from the merciless storm of stress than the Internet. For most of us, our personal devices are like a second home. It's so easy to just let yourself get sucked into this virtual universe and let go of that heavy weight that has burdened you for so long. I admit that whenever I am in such a situation, I take pleasure in exploring the endless videos of YouTube, always feeling a cozy sense of comfort and security while watching the latest episode of "Pokemon X and Y". Huemer's phenomenal piece would not have been this great if it weren't for this aspect, because deep inside, we are all refugees finding shelter from the treacherous realm of school.