The Power of the Teenage Girl | Teen Ink

The Power of the Teenage Girl

By PeaceHope123 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
PeaceHope123 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

In the writing titled “The Power of the Teenage Girl” by Dana Kaufhold, I felt that her writing about how a teenage girl is seen differently in life and on the internet made me realize that we are still stereotyping people just because that is the way they are represented.  Apparently, for some people, their image of a typical teenage girl is “of a girl taking a selfie, or crying over One Direction, or dressing “inappropriately”” (Kaufhold).  This is so not at all a fair picture of all teenage girls.  There are plenty of girls that I know and they don’t dress inappropriately such as some popular female singers do today.  It is as if they see a young girl/woman dress a certain way that a teenage might dress like them.  And besides, there is nothing thinks wrong or strange about a girl who takes a selfie or enjoys listening to One Direction or whom ever they prefer to listen to.  As the story goes on, Kaufhold speaks about how much cyber bulling has teenage girls as a victim of peer pressure.  For example:  “If a girl has sex, she gets called ugly names and you can’t hang out with her. If she doesn’t, then she’s no fun and why would you want to hang out with her?” (Kaufhold).  Personally, I don’t believe it should matter if we have sex or not.  It is our decision and if our friends, classmates or peers just can’t accept that, then oh well.  I think Kaufhold has a point about this. It seems that girls are envisioned to be something that they are not even close to being.  In the first to last paragraph, Kaufhold stated “We help each other out and lift each other up, which is good, because everyone else seems to be trying to tear us down” (Kaufold).  She is showing us, the teenage girls, that we have been helping each and making ourselves feel much better about who we are.  I think that people who have envision a teenage girl in this century, should look around more.  Just because one girl or many girls are dressing “inappropriately” or listen to a new music group, doesn’t mean we all do.  All girls are different than the generations that come before us.  We should just embrace who we are and if the world has a problem with that, they will just have to live with it.   We are who we are for a reason.