Walking the Halls with Cancer | Teen Ink

Walking the Halls with Cancer

By emily.fackler SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
emily.fackler SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

In “Walking the Halls with Cancer” by Eva B, Eva describe a girl name Pia Phillips who was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma her freshman year of high school and had to lose her hair because of it. Pia said, “I was scared to look like the complete opposite of a stereotypical perfect high school girl.”  She also had to struggle with her social life. Eva described that Pia’s friends, “were faithful, but there were times when she was treated unnaturally.” Reading the struggles that Pia had to go through was sad.

Towards the end of the article, Eva goes on to describe how Pia was able to keep a positive attitude, “though people treated her differently and she felt nauseous half the time.” As Pia put it, cancer doesn’t define who you are as a person, and she did not let that happen to herself. She “Cherish your life more and live it well,” say Pia. “Some people don’t get the chance.” I think that it’s amazing that a freshman girl in high school was able to keep such a positive attitude through all the struggles she was faced with. I believe that others should look up to Pie as an example to make the best of a situation when they too are having a rough time.

It's a response to the article "Walking the Halls with Cancer" by Eva Berezovsky.