Drown but Not Die | Teen Ink

Drown but Not Die

October 26, 2015
By mtressler52 GOLD, Defiance, Ohio
mtressler52 GOLD, Defiance, Ohio
10 articles 0 photos 2 comments

In the short story Drown but Not Die, by Delaney K., comes a message that I have never thought before. Delaney talks about a boy that drowned at 4:30 a.m. and dies at the hospital, but he’s still living. The boy is still living on the Internet, pictures of him are all over, he still lives in distant memories. His skin is flat, a million pixels make up his body, but his still living. “It’s a thousand pixels in a thousand colors on something that looks like something else, and how can you be online but not alive” (Kranz). She tries to show that even if you are gone you still somehow exist. it doesn’t matter you that boy passed away two days ago or thirty years ago, he will still be “living” on the Internet for everyone to see his memories and his life through status updates and photos. She also talks about how people change themselves online. “I like clicking the spout and letting it in, sometimes, I pretend to erase myself. I get a big pink eraser and press it against my toes, my ribs, my nose still stocky” (Kranz). Not matter what she does to her body on the computer screen, she still looks the same in real life. People are just hiding behind a keyboard typing away what they want everyone to view them, or others. Finally, she asks her readers: How can you be gone but still exist? The answer is simple, no matter what happens you are still alive on the internet, just like how you are still alive in someone's mind.


The author's comments:

This article was eye opening in today's society.