Feedback on "Sobering Truths" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Sobering Truths"

By Derp_de_Herp GOLD, New York, New York
Derp_de_Herp GOLD, New York, New York

Sobering Truths is a chilling memoir by "Catherine". In it, she tells of her alcoholic mother, and how her alcoholism affects her. Catherine also describes the problems created by her mother's drinking, such as drunk driving and a disintegrating marriage. There are several reasons why this memoir is so wonderfully written. 

For one, I personally felt that this article was a heartbreaking one. It portrayed the mood of a broken home so well, and I could envision the grief everyone felt so well. In addition, this was partly because of how well everything was described, which is another great thing about the article. For instance, the article reads, "My parents fought constantly. My mother would force my dad to buy her alcohol by threatening to walk to the store in a snowstorm or drive the car herself, despite being drunk," a quote which demonstrates just how turbulent her parents' relationship is. Overall, this memoir is a well-written one due to how well the haunting mood is portrayed with description and emotion.