Why I Wear Long Sleeves | Teen Ink

Why I Wear Long Sleeves

By Katritridragon SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Katritridragon SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

Why I Wear Long Sleeves by "Eileen" is a short poem about self harm. I feel that this poem was beautifully written and eloquently adresses the topic of self harm from the mind of someone going through something as serious as self harm. Though the poem is relatively short, it leaves a real impact on the readers, and I feel like it was the perfect length to get the readers thinking about the severity of what was said in the 7 lines that she supplied us with.

This poem struck me on an emotional level. Though I have not atttempted self harm, and do not know what it is like to feel that way, "Eileen" had me stunned to silence after reading her piece. I honestly did not expect her piece to turn the way it did, but it got me thinking. I had realized how hard of diseases that self harm and depression are to treat. That's right, I called them diseases, because they are diseases. People with them are stuck in a terminal sadness, and they'res nothing they can do about it unless they end their own lives. I'm honestly grateful to "Eileen" for publishing this piece, because it was a beautiful piece of work that allowed me to see inside the mind of someone with this illness.