Feedback on Leering | Teen Ink

Feedback on Leering

October 7, 2015
By pottervian GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
pottervian GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The pride and prejudice piece, "Leering," by Freda Sciarappa discusses how a girl is looked at the wrong way by an older man in the street. This story provides us with a look at the emotions the author feels when the incident happens, and the perspective of her friend on it. The author being both scared and uncomfortable has a completley contrasting opinion about this situation than her friend who thinks she, "...should be happy that I already attracted attention." The author blames herself for the incident because she thinks it is the way she looks that caused it. I feel in love with this piece because it shows that we as human beings do not have to think that when inappropriate attention is given to us, we should think it is our fault. This piece is morally beautiful in the aspect that it teaches girls to not be ashamed of what they are because others make them feel that way.

                   I can relate to this story because as a teenager, i ahve insecurities myself. These insecurities especially stand out when I am in an uncomfortable situation with someone who is not acting appropriate. I feel scred in my own body because it makes me feel like i am doing something wrong instead of the other person. Instead of feeling resentment for the people who do this to me, I feel guilt. This story taught me that it is not my fault for being me. I have nothing to do with the way others act, and I should not let them get away with acting this way. I only have control over how if the way they act defines me, and I shoudl not let it. The story states, "That I have control. That I should not thank you when people objectify me." I felt that the quote and the entire piece was exceptional because it had a strong voice. It tokld a story of conflict that resolved in strength. This story taught me a lesson that i am not a sight to be looked at. I am a person who should be treated with respect.