Feedback on "The Power of the Teenage Girl" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "The Power of the Teenage Girl"

By nicolezef GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
nicolezef GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

“The Power of the Teenage Girl” is a point of view article written by Dana Kaufhold, of Havertown Pennsylvania. It expresses her belief in teenage girls and their abilities. She expresses her belief through examples of how teenage girls are made fun of, while she sees them as the “some of the nicest people you will ever meet.” She is angered at how people portray teenage girls so negatively. She very successfully proves that teenage girls exceed, by far, their poor reputation.
     “The Power of the Teenage Girl” is a very relatable piece. I very much appreciate how Dana mentions the double standard that is constantly applied to teenage girls. For example, she says, “If she’s really skinny, people think she's trying too hard, but if she has even an ounce of fat on her, then she's disgusting and must not care about her body.” This demonstrates how society makes every effort to downgrade teenage girls. Therefore, how come the skinny rule doesn't apply to adults or children? Because they're not teenage girls and should therefore not be discriminated, offended, or insulted in any way. Dana makes this point loud and clear. It is unfair for teenage girls to be treated the way they are treated. She perfectly captures the troubles that teenage girls are put through and accurately explains that they are perfect just the way they are.