Feedback on "Wilson, the Princess" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Wilson, the Princess"

By Lmaokai GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Lmaokai GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"Wilson, the Princess" by "Allie" is an article that I have found to stand out to me while reading your magazine. It is an article in which the author recalls a time in her, in preschool, when she was friends with a boy named Wilson. However, Wilson did not seem much like a male. He did not like to play with toys meant for boys or with other boys; instead, he played with "girl" toys and with the girls. The narrator is now concerned about how Wilson is doing. If he still acts the same way he did in preschool, he may be treated badly or teased by his peers, or feel the need to hide his actions because people keep nagging him about him being a boy who should do boy things. I appreciate this article because of the author's honesty about society, and her experiences she has being identified as female.
This article describes a view on something I have been exposed to on the internet and social media: trans people, otherwise known as transgenders. As I learned about trans people, I came to develop my own opinion. I saw nothing wrong with transgenders and with those who got surgical body implants so that they could be who they wanted to be. I understood that feeling and sometimes I would think about how great it would be if I were a male rather than a female.
The author says how society likes to identify people by their gender, saying how you should or should not do something because you're male or female. For example, she states, "I am very much a female, and I identify as one. But because of that, I'm told evrything about me has to be feminine, feminine, feminine. And it's really annoying." I agree with this statement as this is an experience I have shared with the author. People like my mother and other guardians tell me to stop shaking my leg, as it is "unlady-like" or "it makes me seem like a man". Additionally, I detest dresses and skirts; I love hoodies and T-shirts that depict things I am interested in. I am not much of a fan for "girly things" but I don't think that theres anyhing wrong with that. I just want to be who I am and what I want to be with people who support self-expression. This inspirational article has gave me more insight on diversity in the world and has strengthened my opinion on trangender people. I strongly agree and believe in the ideas presented in this article and I hope one day I can try to change society for the better.