Feedback on A Letter to My Brother | Teen Ink

Feedback on A Letter to My Brother

By E_ppanda GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
E_ppanda GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Fat? When you are called fat, it is one of the most insulting words to call someone. Francesca Giardine was called fat by her brother and in A Letter to My Brother, she shows her courage for speaking up about it. Her brother seemed to disparage her because in his opinion she wasn't perfect. She felt that the fault for this wasn't all her her brother but because of society. 

Labels are given to people by society that they are either fat or skinny. These labels, both have been given to me before, so I can relate to how she feels. Francesca isn't what society wants her to be and neither am I. She does a really courageous thing by forgiving her brother. I was never really a forgiving person and it was more painful to not forgive. It doesn't matter to you how they feel otherwise they wouldn't cause you this pain. As she states," Look beyond their appearance to inform your opinions. They will appreciate it." Inner beauty is greater than just their appearances. Francesca feels that labelling is like giving people value. No one has the right to label another person. Through this article I believe that other people will be aware of what it's like to be diverse from others and to be called fat.