Feedback on, "A Portrait of Dyslexia" | Teen Ink

Feedback on, "A Portrait of Dyslexia"

By Derp_de_Herp GOLD, New York, New York
Derp_de_Herp GOLD, New York, New York

"A Portrait of Dyslexia" by Whit Jester is exactly what it says it is. In it, Jester tells of his brother Max, who is diagnosed with dyslexia. He also writes about how dyslexia affects Max and gives background info on dyslexia. There are several reasons why this is a great piece.
For one, I personally felt that this article was great because it was an eye-opener, at least to me. I never really understood dyslexia before, but this article highlighted what it is, how it works, and how it affects people. To add on, Whit also describes dyslexia in a way one can easily understand. For instance, he describes how a normal brain reads scientifically, then proceeds to contrast that description by stating, "Here’s what happened in his brain: He had to break “product” down into phonemes and hesitated mid-word, his temporoparietal circuit struggling to piece them together." Even though this may seem like a bunch of scientific mumbo-jumbo, he clearly describes these parts of the brain and their purpose in a previous paragraph so it all makes sense. Besides this, Whit also details how dyslexia affects the average person (in this case, his brother Max), as he writes, "When Max came across the sentence I mentioned on a bottle of fishing bait a few years ago, he read it aloud as 'This product not of human constipation.'" From this quote, one can see for themselves how dyslexia affects one's literacy. Overall, "A Portrait of Dyslexia" is a great article that reveals the truth about dyslexia by painting a picture of it.