Feedback on Let's Talk About Mental Health | Teen Ink

Feedback on Let's Talk About Mental Health

By pottervian GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
pottervian GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

The story I would like the comment on is Let's Talk About Mental Health by "Cindy," Troy, NY. This piece in the diversity section addresses a girl and her story that revolves around her mental illness. It includes details that vary from what depression really is, and the judgement people provide on this disease. I personally enjoyed this piece because it is very honest. It doesn't sugar coat the reality of her life and the author doesn't make her battle seem as if she is above everyone else. All she says is the truth.
             I find myself scrolling through social media and reading posts that make me absolutely sick. There are people advertising depression as if it makes them powerful and unique since they have this illness. Then, there are people commenting about how depression is not a disease, but cancer is. Depression is just a form of human weakness is the thought that runs through the heads of some people. That was what "Cindy" addresses in her piece. She states, "I have been made to feel ashamed and weak because of my illness." She is not weak. She is sick, and fighting to get past this sickness just like anyone with cancer or even the flu is. I just adore this piece for the honesty and take it provides on the inside. I find the author strong to discuss her problems, and it just makes me appreciate this piece ten times more.