Feedback on The Mark of the Culture | Teen Ink

Feedback on The Mark of the Culture

By mustafahayder2002 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
mustafahayder2002 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

"I'm not perfect; no one is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. I think you try to learn from those mistakes."

~Derek Jeter

I like the article The Mark of my Culture by Tanushree Bansal. In this article, the girl has a mark called a tikka on her forehead. A boy advances to her and tells her her forehead is bleeding, when, in reality, it's just powder. She washes her powder off. After that, she refused to wear her tikka and any other religious marking. Near the end, she realizes culture is a part of life and at the end, she tells herself that her culture is very important. This is a very good article and I could relate to it.

In my life, I've had people tell me that my cultural clothes were "stupid" and looked "weird". At a point, I didn't feel comfortable wearing clothes of my culture in public. According to paragraph 6, it states, "My Indian ethnicity was something to be proud of." This shows that your culture is something you respect. When I thought this, it suddenly was okay for me to wear religious clothes in public. My elders told me this clothing is respected and now, I respect it as well. Therefore, this was a easy article to connect with and I enjoyed reading it.