Feedback for "Wilson, the Princess" | Teen Ink

Feedback for "Wilson, the Princess"

By teadragons GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
teadragons GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

In “Wilson, the Princess,” Allie addresses the harmful effects that society’s gender stereotypes and roles can have on young children. The author speaks about a person she knew in preschool who wasn’t like what society wanted him to be. Wilson was different from others because he liked to play with “girl” toys and hang out with girls. At first, the author didn’t think much of this - Wilson was her best friend and he liked the things she did. As Allie got older, however, she began to lose her innocence and is subjected to the same stereotype. I agree with the author’s point of view and I feel like this article addresses something that usually goes unnoticed, since it is ingrained in people’s minds from the start that there are certain ways boys and girls are supposed to act.
Society is cruel to those who are not exactly like the model person it has created. A person who doesn’t conform could be bullied, ridiculed, and shunned by the people around them. For example, transgender and nonbinary people are often condemned by people around them, who may try to make them uncomfortable with who they chose to be by addressing them with incorrect pronouns or using gendered slurs. Why is it such a big deal if a boy likes pink and wearing dresses, or if someone wants to identify as another gender? Allie states in her article, “Maybe [Wilson is] being shoved into lockers at school...Maybe he’s had to hide who he really is and act like someone he’s not…” There is no reason anyone, regardless of gender, should ever be subjected to such cruelty. I applaud Allie for standing up for people and bringing attention to an area of society that is often overlooked.