The Reality of Medical Care | Teen Ink

The Reality of Medical Care

By Oreocookiecrumbles BRONZE, San Marino, California
Oreocookiecrumbles BRONZE, San Marino, California

The article Overkill written by Atul Gawande is centered around the unneeded care that is provided to many medical patients. I agree with the author’s point of view on this situation, and support the claim that the amount of useless care is bringing too many harmful effects to the society and people. Within the persuasive article, Atul Gawande includes many specific examples to back up his point, logos, or statistics, and an understanding of both sides of the argument.

The title of the article reflects the whole point the article is trying to get across. Atul Gawande criticizes the use of excessive unnecessary medical care and increased costs of care for patients. Many doctors are prescribing procedures that are superfluous and only bring about more disadvantages. The author hopes to be able to offer the patients the most effective medical care that holds the most benefits.

To prove the claim about extra care, Atul Gawande makes sure to fill up the essay with various examples. Not only does he include examples provided from his friends, he also doesn’t forget his own real-life scenarios. Additionally, all of this proof supports the argument he wants to make, and does not contradict it. The many cases assist in proving the numerous amount of care given that was detrimental. On top of using example of incidents, Gawande also uses logos, in the form of statistics. For example, he compared the amount of surgery in two different areas, and figured the huge difference was connected to his main claim. This makes the article more solid, because facts, which are definitely true, were incorporated into the writing to reinforce the idea.
Even though it is true that there have been many cases of unnecessary care given to patients, it is also correct that this problem has been improving the last couple of years. The author acknowledges this, which gives us the awareness that Gawande grasps both sides of the case.

Atul Gawande proved that much of the medical care provided is excessive and not needed. In order to strengthen his argument, he included many examples, statistics, and even an clear understanding that this situation is gradually getting better and there still is hope. This article allows people to gain insight on what really is happening in the medical world.

This is my opinion on the article Overkill written by Atul Gawande. I hope people will read his article in order to realize the truths of medical care today. This would benefit everyone and make medical care a more pleasant and affordable experience.