Feedback on "speech" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "speech"

By ariel___ GOLD, New York, New York
ariel___ GOLD, New York, New York

The poem “speech,” simply put, is about exactly what its title states: a speech. However, the author makes the poem seem as if it is about a very difficult experience, in a very creative way. She compares the topic to something that is very painful and excruciating. For example, the poem states, “but my throat burns/as I chew on the ashes/each stare a little/heavier.” This line is very relatable since many people have trouble making speeches or speaking in public, and feel as if they are swallowing ashes.
         I love this poem because it demonstrates to readers a very common and true idea about making speeches. Whether it is just in front of several people or the whole school, it can be very difficult to say the right words without stuttering at least once. The poem takes the idea of being nervous during public speaking and intensifies it, leading the reader into the mind of the person who is about to make a speech. I find that this poem is very well written, and conveys the feelings of many people who may be making a speech in a dramatic but understandable fashion.