Feedback on "Supernova" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Supernova"

By MundaneSoul SILVER, New York City, New York
MundaneSoul SILVER, New York City, New York

The fiction piece "Supernova," by Julianna Therese, sucked me into its contents and then struck my heart with its powerful words and stirring story. "Supernova" is narrated by a girl named Lena, whom is in love with her best friend, Kyle. As children, the two friends made a promise that they would never fall in love with each other, one that Lena breaks as she matures in the future. Never having the courage to confess her affection for him, Lena is crushed by the news of Kyle's death later on in the story, when she learns that he died from drunk driving. Throughout the entire story, I felt as though I knew Lena on a personal level, and Kyle's death broke my heart as well.

One of the best features of Julianna's writing was the repetition of Kyle's comparision of love to supernovas. Kyle's words resonated in my mind: "Think of love as a supernova. When supernovas burst, they outshine everything in the galaxy. They emit more energy than the sun an ever hope to in its lifetime. It's stellar and explosive and bright and beautiful. But then it's gone. It fades. Love is the same way. It's beautiful for a while, but when it fades, it's devasting." This similie was just stunning and inspiring. It amazed me at how Julianna had thought of such a vivid comparision between love and supernovas.

Overall, "Supernova" was a very emotional and moving fictitious piece. The figurative language and realistic conversations between Lena and Kyle drew me in with their truth. Lena's heartbreaking love for Kyle was a story to be admired. So thank you, Julianna, for writing such a spectacular story that I, and many other readers, enjoyed!

juliannatherese BRONZE, Fair Lawn, New Jersey

"Stay hungry. Stay foolish." -Steve Jobs

How did I not see this earlier?! Thank you so much for your kind words; you honestly just made my day! I'm glad you enjoyed my story!