Feedback on "A Student Breakfast" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "A Student Breakfast"

By ayah52001 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
ayah52001 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality."
--Edgar Allan Poe

The poem, "A Student Breakfast," by Fiona Bell is such an entertaining but painfully accurate piece of writing.  It demonstrates what a typical student experiences in their daily life regarding the work-load along with numerous other school-induced troubles. It clearly illustrates the stress level and abundance of pressure that coincides with school. By comparing aspects of schoolwork to specific breakfast foods, it provides a very unique parallel.  The use of breakfast terminology and academic- related word choice combined added a one-of-a-kind feel to the poem. 
       "A Student Breakfast" is a piece that I believe can relate to everyone in school as there are very similar academic expectations and standards.  There is a definite worn-out tone to the poem that is portrayed, for example, in the the lines, "An overlooked night and an/undercooked essay."  These lines and many more like it channel the internal struggles of exhausted students. The burden of school and the harsh education system is felt not only by the poet but by students around the globe who deal with similar circumstances. Therefore, this poem is very in-tune to the hardships school causes and displays them in an extraordinarily different way through connecting them to breakfast.