Feedback on "Fairy-Tale Fallacy" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Fairy-Tale Fallacy"

April 26, 2015
By MundaneSoul SILVER, New York City, New York
MundaneSoul SILVER, New York City, New York
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

       "Fairy-Tale Fallacy" by Kayla Martinez hooked me in immediately from the first line. Addressing the sexism and bias in fairy tales, Kayla brings up a common trait shared by most Disney fairy tales and movies: a damsel in distress. Basically, these fairy tales are just stereotypes in disguise. A handsome prince saves the princess from her apparently miserable life, the two fall in love, and then get married and have their happily-ever-after. The End. Oh, and of course, the princesses just have to be beautiful with a slim figure and pleasant personality. Put simply, they have the word "perfection" labeled on their foreheads for all children to admire and look up to.

       But Kayla points out that this trend is unrealistic and should be changed. Because let's face it, no one in reality is going to be gorgeous, unbelievably kind, and flawless all at the same time. Everyone has some kind of imperfection one way or another, and the way that fairy tales portray their characters presents a false idol for children to aspire to.

       My favorite line from Kayla is: "Beauty outside has nothing to do with what is within." These words touched my heart with all the truth that they hold about modern society. And Kayla including her own personal experiences, like Adolf Hitler appearing as "an average-looking man" despite his infamous tyranny, made me able to relate and understand her thoughts. All in all, thank you, Kayla, for writing about this stereotypical pattern depicted in fairy tails that is often overlooked.