Feedback on Fairy-Tale Fallacy | Teen Ink

Feedback on Fairy-Tale Fallacy

April 26, 2015
By eikat GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
eikat GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

"Fairy-tale Fallacy" by Kayla Martinez is a wonderful piece that describes the blatant issue of the sexism and lack of representation in fairy tales. She questions why so many  Disney movies, or fairy tales in general, are so sexist. There are numerous times where only princesses need rescuing from a prince, and only have the appearance of looking slender and perfect. There are hardly any times where any of the characters are LGBT, either, despite the protests of people who want to be represented.
Many believe that representation isn't needed and that these matters shouldn't be shown to children, though people of all ages have to learn that being themselves isn't wrong. In a world with so many harsh, prejudiced people, many will have the mindset that it isn't alright to have a different sexuality, body type, or gender from others. Some may not even know who they are or feel out of place, and spend their lives thinking they're broken. Kayla says, "Beauty outside has nothing to do with what is within." In a sense, it's much more than just fairy tales. It's about teaching children that girls can be strong as well, that everyone is beautiful despite appearances.
The problems with fairy tales have to be acknowledged. There are so many possibilities, and we can't just keep fitting princesses into the roles of pretty, slim damsels in distress who need a prince to save them. Kayla explains this beautifully, and shows the reasons why people have to open their eyes and understand that diversity should be incorporated into fairy tales, movies, and much more.