Feedback on "Fairy-Tale Fallacy" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Fairy-Tale Fallacy"

April 25, 2015
By Anonymous

        “Fairy-Tale Fallacy,” by Kayla Martinez is a flawed piece which speaks about how she wants more diversity in Disney movies and stories; however, she neglects the fact of who the target audience is for those fairy tales. The “stereotypes” portrayed in fairy tales are simple, since the main demographic for these stories are children. They don’t have the mental capacity as teens and young adults who are older, and Kayla mentions how, “…exterior beauty is often equated with beauty on the inside.” Young children tend to see things black and white, and emphasizing the villain and the hero by making one look evil makes the plot clearer for kids.
Additionally, Kayla points out how the stereotypes are sexist, and asks, “Why does the princess need help, anyway?” However, these fairy tales all have the same simple plot, a princess the children feel sympathy for, the hero who the children admire, and the villain who was behind it all, who the children despise. It isn’t intended to be sexist, and it doesn’t imply that women need to be saved. That requires one to overthink the story, but children accept the story at face value. Also, the movies discussed consist of fantasy elements that are pure fiction, like magic. These stories are meant to entertain kids, not instill stereotypes and make them prejudice. 
Though flawed, Kayla’s piece does bring up an interesting point in her fourth paragraph about the view exceptions to the cliché plotline, such as in Frozen and Brave. I also enjoy those more complicated and unique plots, but for different reasons. They are a change to the usual storyline mentioned earlier, which is always welcomed, but not necessary. These fairy tales appeal to children because of their simplicity, and they should not be overthought about and judged because of their plots.