"The Other Sophia" Review | Teen Ink

"The Other Sophia" Review

By f.gavieres GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
f.gavieres GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"You are enough, you are so enough, it's unbelievable how enough you are!" -Sierra Boggess

I find that the piece,"The Other Sophia" by Sophia Watwood, very relatable and filled with meaning. She describes what she feels about girls who have the same name as her, and how she believes they are of higher quality. Others who may know her call her "The Other Sophia" instead of just her given name. I used to think that my name was uncommon, but I stand corrected. There are two other girls that I know with the same name - my name, "Francesca."
            Sophia includes how she has to sacrifice the last vowel of her name, her identity,  just so that people won't get confused with who they are. She explains how the other Sophia is better than her and how popular she is. She includes,"Whenever they announce an award and speak my three syllables, I hold my breath for the last name." I find that I can relate to this especially  because another girl with my name won an award that I hoped to be mine to hold, on an award night for my swim team. As soon as my swimming coach announced her last name, my body shot still and it felt as if tons of weight had were put onto my shoulders and squeezing my guts; the feeling of disappointment. In the end, she concludes that she is not a "lesser version," that she is "Sophie" instead of "The Other Sophia."
             You're not alone, Sophia. I'm either called "Franny" or "Francesca G". It's definitely something that I - we, have to get used to.