Racial Unity, or More Discrimination? | Teen Ink

Racial Unity, or More Discrimination?

January 28, 2009
By Rebecca BRONZE, Knoxville, Iowa
Rebecca BRONZE, Knoxville, Iowa
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Since November, I've heard it twenty times if I've heard it once'this country has finally put racism in the past and progressed to a new level of racial unity, or whatever it is that they're calling it. That's absolutely wonderful. However, there are a few questions still floating around my mind concerning thiskind of thinking. We all know about President Obama's inspirational speeches and stirring message. No one can deny that there is more to him than his darker-than-mine skin. Nevertheless, I heard at least fifteen people in my small town make remarks that boiled down to a single message'the real deciding factor for them, whether for or against, was the color of the candidates' skin.

During the next four years, I hope that kind of thinking will dwindle and maybe one day vanish completely. It is my hope that America can move past to an even greater level of racial unity'the kind where each person is evaluated on his ability to think and the plans he'or she'has for our country.

This isn't the beginning of the end of racial discrimination. That came a long time ago. It is, however, a good step in the right direction. Who knows? Maybe next time two people such as McCain and Obama run against each other for president, whatever race they are will mean nothing more than the color of their eyes'a trivial matter. We're all people, no matter what color canvas we were given to paint our life on.

Anyone who has listened to our new president has heard him speak of hope. For all, that is all I can do.