Feedback on "Ella's Fairytale" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Ella's Fairytale"

By loolioe123 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
loolioe123 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

"Ella's Fairytale" by Catherine Aragona is a very unique twist on the story of Cinderella. It is starts the stepmother and stepsisters of Ella on their way to the ball, yet they feel very sorry for her because she always seemed to be upset. In this story, Ella has a mental disorder. As Ella's stepsisters, Anastasia and Drizella, meet the prince at the ball, Ella came singing in a raspy voice while wearing a nightgown, leaves matting her hair, and a dog collar and the prince laughed at her. It was at this time that Ella's stepmother, Lady Tremaine, realized that Ella needed to be sent to a mental institution. So the next day, she left.
     "Ella's Fairytale" has a lot of contrast to the original story on Cinderella which makes the story even more interesting. One example is that Ella has a fantasy of her world made up in her head. The text says, "She lived in a fantasy world where animals talked to her and her family despised her." In the actual story, this is how Cinderella actually lives. Ella even started crying when Lady Tremaine came up to her because she "tried to do the job right," but no one was angry with her. However, Cinderella's family actually was angry with her when she didn't do her job correctly. Also, when Cinderella arrives at the ball, she looks strikingly beautiful. On the contrary, when Ella arrives at the ball, it is almost creepy, though Ella and Cinderella both wore blue dresses. When Ella is leaving to go to the medical institute, she brings a glass parcel, contrasting to Cinderella's glass slipper. When she drops it, she says that it's okay because she has another, which happened to Cinderella. Lastly, Ella asks the man who is bringing her to the mental institute if he is bringing her to get married to her price, while that is actually what she was doing in Cinderella. Overall, the contrasts in "Ella's Fairytale" makes it a very entertaining piece.