WAR NO MORE | Teen Ink

WAR NO MORE MAG

March 25, 2015
By J.ramirez SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
J.ramirez SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Allons-y


“WAR NO MORE” by Tifara B. is a very moving poem that highlights the truth in the never-ending fight for racial equality. In her poem, Tifara compares and contrasts the words of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to today’s society, and describes her life that is surrounded by racism.

The poem begins, “Dr. King, I respect your legacy, sure enough/But right now I just wanna scream and tear up some stuff.” This is just one of the many lines that describe how Tifara feels about the way African Americans are treated today. She portrays their lives and her own as stained with blood, terminally ill from a lack of self-love, and turned against one another due to prejudice.

After reading this empowering poem, I was speechless. It made me realize that believing racial equality has been achieved is foolish. This common misconception is merely a way to hide the astonishing number of deaths due to hate crimes and to silence the screams of those who have no voice.

“WAR NO MORE” tells the cringe-worthy story of racial inequality without sugarcoating the evidence. It is time the world knows the truth. And lucky for them, it’s all packed into one poem.