Feedback on "Two Broken Parts" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Two Broken Parts"

By MundaneSoul SILVER, New York City, New York
MundaneSoul SILVER, New York City, New York

Poetry and I are like water and oil - we don't mix. But "Two Broken Parts" by Ellie McGlamery is such a heart-lifting, deep poem that I knew I had to write feedback on it the minute I read it. It eloquently describes the flaws of the narrator and his or her piano, using beautiful metaphors and personifications to illustrate how broken yet perfect the two are. And together, they create exquisite music; "two broken parts that fit so perfect together."

The phrases and descriptions that Ellie uses in her poem are amazing. I was able to imagine the piano in my mind from "Such delicate keys that unlock my heart/The white traces the black in effortless art." "I give you my sorrow, my love, and my stress/You thread elegant music from a tangled-up mess" made me feel warm and torn at the same time, which I didn't even know was possible. The lines hinted at an undertone of sadness and pain emanating from the narrator as well.

Ellie also smoothly describes the flaws that the piano possesses ("Your stubborn petal and F out of tune/The flawless flaws that help me recognize you/My fingertips dance with a touch like a feather"). Her use of metaphors and personifications were so well done that it deserves to be called a masterpiece. Each phrase and word paints a picture in my head. The fond and heartfelt feelings that "Two Broken Parts" evoked were simply remarkable.