16 And Definitely NOT Pregnant | Teen Ink

16 And Definitely NOT Pregnant

March 10, 2015
By Lexi_marie008 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Lexi_marie008 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Out of all of the many, countless Teen Ink articles that I’ve encountered in the past, Gabriela Rodriguez’s article holds the title of being one of the most relatable to me. Rodriguez touches on a subject that many “goody good” teenagers are experiencing right now.
She explains her experience while crushing over a boy that went by the name of Brenden; your typical popular, drunken jock that you see at the parties on a Friday night. While playing the popular game, Never Have I Ever,Gabriela realized that shy may be portrayed as a prude- Meanwhile, Brenden has done it all. Just like any “good girl” would, she assumes that he most likely won’t get far in life and would never imagine him being on the same intellectual level as her. This turns out to be anything but true. Brenden is in all actuality, a smart, and on the same (if not higher) level of intelligence as Rodriguez. 
With this being said, the typical assumption of any outsider that looks at someone having fun is that they “won't get very far in life” and “How in the world are they passing their classes”.  These same people, would also be portrayed as boring, a prude, and even monotonous. As we could see by Brenden, it’s okay to have fun and go to parties and still be able to have fun and enjoy life.
In the conclusion of her article, Rodriguez includes a particular quote that stuck with me: “We all need to find happiness and laughter now, because the future is too far away; and too ambiguous to wait for.” In my eyes, this quote is 100% truth and we all should take notes and take this into consideration the next time that we are stressing over that next big test.
I would like to thank Gabriela for opening a door that many of us struggled to find the key to. Her article has inspired me and stands as a symbol to not just worry about the little things that will pass, but to also have fun and live in the moment.


The author's comments:

I feel as if not having much fun and being stuck with the title as boring is something that many people struggle with and this article shines a light and reassures everyone that you can still have fun and be considered "smart".