Feedback on "Agender Angst" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Agender Angst"

By GG_LeBode PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
GG_LeBode PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

Society today, even after countless LGBTQ gatherings and slutwalks and interfaith meetups, still tries to put people into boxes. It is true that there are now more boxes that are considered acceptable, but we still turn our backs on what doesn’t fit into them, like agender individuals. “Agender Angst” by Phoenix Quinn explores this neglected aspect of identity through nir personal story. Being biologically female, Phoenix explains what it was like to choose a new name and a new set of pronouns, to have nir own identity.
The use of personal examples makes the writing more compelling, as pieces on this topic can often become detached and third- person. Phoenix creates a story about how growing into a female body made nir only feel more uncomfortable in it. Phoenix is also able to articulate the situation in a way that makes it understandable to those who haven’t even heard of non-binary before. “The instant I realized I am not a girl or a boy, the world made sense to me,” ne writes, making nir lack of gender a fact, not a question. In the end ne leaves us with a message that is all too essential: “I am not my gender.”