Feedback on Agender Angst | Teen Ink

Feedback on Agender Angst

By cierra.monique SILVER, Staten Island, New York
cierra.monique SILVER, Staten Island, New York

"All we ever see or seem is but a dream within a dream"

"Agender Angst" by Phoenix Quinn is an eye-opening autobiographical piece written by a gender non-binary teen. In the article, the author explains what being agender means and how they have come to accept and understand they are. Phoenix takes the reader step by step into the development of their identity.
    I truly enjoyed this article because it showed me an unfamiliar perspective. As a cisgender person, person, I have no idea what it is like to be gender non-binary. However, articles, such as the one Phoenix wrote, help to educate people like me. By enlightening the public, we can prevent bigotry and violence caused from ignorance, offering support to the LGBTQIAP community. One line from this  piece that is particularly relevant is the end of the article. "I am not my gender," it reads. "I am a person and all I ask is to be treated like one." This line reminds the reader that even though being agender is part of the writer's identity, it doesn't in anyway compromise who they are.

I chose to use the pronouns they/their/etc. as they are gender neutral, and I would like to respect the author's preferred pronouns!