Feedback on Changing School Start Times | Teen Ink

Feedback on Changing School Start Times

By eikat GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
eikat GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"Changing School Start Times" by Julia Osterhouse is a topic that's been debated about for a long time: should school start later in the day? Her essay describes how many teenagers don't get so much sleep at night, and how many factors such as schoolwork and extracurricular activities contribute to the fatigue most students feel everyday. She provides statistics that back her points up, such as how it's natural for teenagers to feel like they have to stay up late. I definitely agree with her stance on the topic, and would be glad to have a change in the school strt time.
Juggling with so many activities at a time is complicated, and hard enough when you're young as a student and still learning the many things of the world. Students are required to wake up early and expected to focus learning. However, this is difficult when you can't focus due to lack of sleep. Julia states, "We're at a point in our lives where sleep is necessary for our successful development and progression." It's time to recognize the benefits of this, and though it'll be hard at first, students will get both the education and rest they need.