Feedback on "Agender Angst" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Agender Angst"

By anire_ka SILVER, New York City, New York
anire_ka SILVER, New York City, New York

There are millions of people in our world who don't identify as a girl or a boy. According to Phoenix Quinn in the personal essay "Agender Angst," those people are "part of that gray area, that vast void between male and female that most people assume is empty. It's not." Phoenix Quinn explains the hatred people feel when they are forced to choose one category or the other. Although I can't relate, it helps me to understand what many people in the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) community go through.

Phoenix also explains that people shouldn't be limited to a pronoun. "I get lost in the cascade of pronouns thrown at me, as if being called 'he' or 'she' will make me agree," Phoenix says. Phoenix describes the struggle of identifying yourself and how hard it is when people assume that Phoenix is a girl. The author beautifully and poetically explains this issue. "In the end, pronouns are not what's important. I am not my gender. I am a person, and all I ask is to be treated like one."