Feedback on “The Mistakes of My Father” By “Amber” Review by Duke Yao | Teen Ink

Feedback on “The Mistakes of My Father” By “Amber” Review by Duke Yao

By Carmelo SILVER, New York City, New York
Carmelo SILVER, New York City, New York

“A few individuals don’t define an entire race.”  This line, from the piece “The Mistakes of My Father”, was very true and meaningful to me.  The memoir talked of the issues of racism, homophobia, and classism that were instilled in a young girl by her parents, her father especially.  Though “Amber” and her sister disagree with these views, they still heavily impacted their lives.
This piece is relatable for me because I myself have experienced racial stereotypes.  Just by being Asian, I have been seen by various peers as a “straight-A”, highly intelligent, and reserved person.  By being Filipino, I was made fun of for the way the “majority” of Filipinos speak.  Because we are a minority, my family and I have learned into embrace other cultures, different social classes, views, and ourselves.
In the memoir, the author’s father openly commends people of the same ethnic group as them and expresses disappointment to those who aren’t.  For example, Jeremy Lin, a Taiwanese-born professional basketball player, was admired by “Amber’s father because he is Asian.  However, watching Carmelo Anthony, an African-American player, “spurred an onslaught of racist comments” from her father.  These views of disgust from one race to another are wrong.  Skin color, lifestyles, views, etc. do not reveal everything about a person.  One day, I hope that people of different races will see and understand this.