Feedback on Yellow | Teen Ink

Feedback on Yellow

By J.ramirez SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
J.ramirez SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

Allons-y

There is always something special about the poetry published in Teen Ink's monthy magazine. Whether it's located in the back of the issue or in various pages throughout, each poem is written with such passion and voice that anyone who reads them are stunned. However the poem "Yellow", by "Janelle," Mound, was a different kind of poem and grabbed my attention from the beginning.
     "Janelle," starts the piece off by the line "With him, I am yellow." This line forms the basis of the poem, where she later compares herself to yellow objects such as light bulbs, dandelions and sunsets. The reason why I enjoyed this poem so much, is because all these comparisons are part of a bigger, more meaningful, emotion being conveyed by the author. She is expressing her thoughts of being underappreciated and having tension between her and this man. The beautifully written lines "I am the yellow of the dandelions he mows over his lawn because they're weeds and not flowers somehow." and "Even when I'm there we're always sitting in the dark." proves this and also gives reader the hint that something isn't right between the narrator and this man.
     Overall, the poem "Yellow" by "Janelle" Mound, is a really well-written poem about feeling trapped in a terrible relationship. Readers like myself are amazed by the complex metephor and are left feeling closer to the narrator just after nine stanzas. This piece does not fail to impress! Well done "Janelle".