Feedback on "Nostalgic" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Nostalgic"

March 3, 2015
By phils.world GOLD, Staten Island, New York
phils.world GOLD, Staten Island, New York
15 articles 0 photos 3 comments

    "I am hit with the smell of manure instantly/ as I walk into the barn/ The smell most people despise/ makes me feel calm and at home." That one stanza was filled with four lines of wonder. Bella Stechschulte's poem, "Nostalgic" was an amazing incorporation of all the elements a poem needs. It had the perfect amount mystery, emotions, feelings, and that theme that wakes people think. Of course, like all poems, there is a part that I am confused about. But once again, that is a natural writing piece. But one thing that makes this poem jump off the page is the sense of ominous mystery.
    This poem is about a girl or how someone imagines a girl who had some trouble in her past, perhaps in her childhood. She finds comfort calling a farm or a barn home. One of the horses she owns is named Nostalgia, something that the main character says she doesn't have, or she doesn't have the right one. In general, she talks about how she doesn't have fond memories, and is unwilling to remember the past.
    "Nostalgic" was filled with many unique elements. The author included the definition of the word "nostalgia," which is an element I seldom see in poetry. Also, the poet appeals to the different senses. This includes the reader smelling the aromas found around a barn and seeing the horse rest its muzzle on her lap. This captivating master piece was an amazing read, and brightened the lightbulb known as Teen Ink. Thank you Bella Stechschulte for a wonderful poem!