“Hopeless Romantic” Review | Teen Ink

“Hopeless Romantic” Review

February 13, 2015
By LordBelcho BRONZE, Holgate, Ohio
LordBelcho BRONZE, Holgate, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can't do bike tricks no good." - Aaron Hostettler a.k.a. Ferris Bueller


The selection is about a boy who is beyond awful when it comes to talking to girls.  He stumbles to finally face a girl. He finally does talk to her and instead of saying something even remotely attractive; he says “‘I like mayonaise’”.

This is a very relatable selection when it comes to dating in high school.  Everything is new and awkward when it first comes to us.  We don’t know exactly what to say.  We nervous and begin to stutter and sweat.  It’s a very nerve racking part of our lives when it comes to relationships.  I’m sure the author isn’t the only one to say something utterly stupid in front of someone he or she has a crush on and nervously run away.  It’s an average thing to be completely nervous in front of a crush.  I know I’m alway nervous when it comes to talking to any girl I find attractive.  I feel the racing of the heart that the  author beautifully describes.  However, I’ve never said something that dumb to someone that I had a crush on.  I would be totally embarrassed if my brain decided to die on me like that in that moment.  This selection is just extremely relatable to me and I’m sure many others who are like me.