GMOs: What Do You Know? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I found Madeline S.’s article “GMOs: What Do You Know?” oh so very pleasing. This is by far the best article I’ve ever read in Teen Ink partly because of how well it was written. As I read, I couldn’t help but smile knowing that not everybody is misinformed on genetically modified organisms. I loved how Madeline stated, “The stains on Monsanto’s reputation have unfortunately rubbed off on GMOs as a whole.” This is so true! GMOs are far from a bad thing, and without them there is no way farmers could feed our world’s growing population.

Madeline also pointed out, “In 1999, scientists in Switzerland modified rice to contain vitamin A, a vital nutrient for eyesight.” This is only one of the many things that GMOs can do to help us, not hurt us. I think the best part of her article was the end when she stated, “So before you start campaigning to eliminate GM food, make sure that you know the facts.” Too many people jump to conclusions about things they know nothing about!

I hope this article sends a message to teens who hear their parents saying that GMOs are bad. I want to thank Madeline for researching and writing this; it truly made my day.