Why I Hated "The Fault in Our Stars" | Teen Ink

Why I Hated "The Fault in Our Stars"

By katlynnbree SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
katlynnbree SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

When I first watched “The Fault in Our Stars” I really enjoyed the romantic drama. I think most teenagers especially girls loved this movie because the idea of the romance and love that seemed to be so wonderful. However, Emily G has made a very strong point in this article that I very much agree with.  We share the same opinion that this movie sets up false expectations of cancer.  Throughout the movie it showed that she was weak at some points but then glorified the illness at others.  I have the same understanding as Emily of having someone in the family with cancer.  I have been around cancer enough to know that there is absolutely nothing to glorify about it.  The movie shows how Hazel Grace is a very young beautiful girl as well as handsome Augustus Waters and all of their fun memories together, but anyone that’s been around cancer knows it’s not that beautiful.

The Fauly in Our Stars is a perfect example of false expections.  It's sad because these things are everyone in all of the media. I only hope that more teens will be able to realize this.