Feedback on "Life Is Not a Movie" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Life Is Not a Movie"

By MundaneSoul SILVER, New York City, New York
MundaneSoul SILVER, New York City, New York

"Life Is Not a Movie" by William Burk perfectly portrays life as it truly is: "strange, not as simple and predictable as Hollywood would have it." This piece compared typical, cliche moments in movies to William's actual life. Instead of having a breath-taking, amazing first kiss, for instance, William's was "pretty awkward and notably unmagical." He finishes it off by telling us readers that life is much more beautiful than any movie scene if we just live our lives the way we want and experience it for ourselves.

I have to admit that this piece of writing earned quite a few chuckles from me. With each brief in-look on William's experiences, I found myself impressed by how different it was from the usual, predictable movie. We all know of the cliche funeral scene where people are sobbing and sniffling under their black umbrellas as the sky cries with them. But then you read about William's funeral experience: "It didn't rain. I didn't even cry. I mean, come on, it was my great-grandfather. I hardly knew the guy." I burst out laughing when I read those lines since I could relate to what he meant.

William's article was one that caught my attention straight from the first sentence. It had every ingredient needed to cook up a great piece of writing; it had humor, a hint of attitude, and delivered an important message: Be yourself. It's only two simple words, but its significance was flawlessly conveyed through William's writing.