Feedback on One Stupid Text | Teen Ink

Feedback on One Stupid Text

By eikat GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
eikat GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

“One Stupid Text” by Sophie Lamm is a story with an important message many do not listen to while on the road: Don’t text while driving.  Despite it being said many times and very obvious, some still don’t follow, putting their life and others at risk. A small, single text that can wait after driving is over can be a huge impact, and Sophie perfectly explains how by describing her experience. Because of her friend too focused on her phone rather to where she was going, the two crashed and got into an accident with another driver as well. Thankfully, the three got out of the situation well, though it could’ve been something worse because of the text.
Though I thankfully have not been in such a dangerous position like that, many have, and some don’t get back alive. When on the road, attention is vital, and a phone is something that can take away that. There’s always time to text back afterwards, or park somewhere if it’s that important. However, the wellbeing of others and yourself need to be protected. As Sophie says, “No text message is worth losing everything.” Many who believe texting on the road is not a big deal need to learn this. Things can happen unexpectedly, but prevented when focusing on driving the car.