Hollaback Girl | Teen Ink

Hollaback Girl MAG

By _hannah_ SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
_hannah_ SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

“A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.”
― Gloria Steinem

There’s not an issue of Teen Ink without an article that makes you realize how messed up our society is. In the January edition, that article is “Hollaback Girl” by Yaasmeen Piper. She describes her experience with street harassment and the fear that anyone who has been harassed by a stranger on the street experiences.

Yaasmeen begins the piece by vividly recalling being catcalled by a middle-aged man when she was only 14. Immediately after that, she provides statistics that highlight the large number of women – and men – who have been harassed and abused while innocently walking outside.
This article truly captures the terror of street harassment and the anxiety that most people feel when they realize that they are being targeted. The line “My face burns red, and in my palms I can feel my heart pumping” is breathtaking. It shows the physical effects that go along with the fear when being harassed. That line brought even more suspense to the story and made me feel sympathy for Yaasmeen, as well as other victims.

The section I appreciated most was the third to last paragraph, where she explained the sadly common misconception that a woman wearing provocative clothing deserves to be harassed. I am so glad Yaasmeen addressed this issue so others could learn. The statement “Who you are, what you wear, or your sexual orientation should not impact your safety or comfort walking down the street” ties everything together and is the cherry on top of an informative and persuasive opinion article.