Feedback for "Just a Little Broken Wing" | Teen Ink

Feedback for "Just a Little Broken Wing"

January 13, 2015
By Impurial SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Impurial SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

      “Hey man, don’t worry about your mom. If she actually tries to kill you we can run away together.” That was a line to be noted as I finished the short article. “Just a Broken Wing” by Jodie Poole was quite an interesting piece. I understand how James, the main character, would feel about his mother if I was outside for a long time. Scott, James’s friend, is a carefree guy who doesn’t really have the best family and I really have a sympathetic feeling for him despite him acting as if it didn’t matter. I also understand how it’d be if I blurted out something about a friend’s family without really intending to, guiltily waiting for a sharp retort. What I didn’t expect was that Scott actually ignored the insult and noticed the injured bird nearby, as if James’s words had no effect on him at all and instead, suggested that they could run away if things come to the worst.
     The short story displayed a bittersweet turn of events and friendship. Beautiful, if that word is enough to describe the feeling I got upon finishing the story. I’d know that I hurt someone’s feelings if I said something about their personal life but I would never expect for that person to ignore the question. James’s was concerned about his mother worrying and punishing him for being so late, but Scott seemed to think that they should spend more time together. He even suggested that they run off! Scott is an enigma to me, but I can tell that he really didn’t care and savored the friendship he had with James. Perhaps he was the only bond he had left.