Feedback on One Stupid Text | Teen Ink

Feedback on One Stupid Text

By annieasdas GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
annieasdas GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

"One Stupid Text" by Sophie Lamm talks about a controversial topic: texting while driving. Her short memoir can change someone's point of view completely. Her foolish friend could've taken three lives with that one text message. In this memoir, Sophie describes her experience of being in a car accident. This wasn't a regular car accident, though, it was an avoidable car accident. Even though her piece was only nine paragraphs long, it had a huge impact on me. I felt anger but also a bit of sorrow. I felt bad for Sophie because she didn't deserve to be in the accident. Her friend made her become a victim that shouldn't have been at the scene.
     Sophie’s piece takes me back to the car crash. I can picture the descriptions that she uses. I can feel the pain she felt that day. “My chest and arms were bruised and cut from the glass and airbag. I had a gash on my forehead from the window breaking; there’s still a scar today.” I imagined her on the stretcher and her cuts on her body. They were heartbreaking and painful to look at. Even though her friend felt a pang of grief, her neglection of the steering wheel was not a mistake that sorry could make up for. This memory has brought me back to the topic of texting and driving and how unnecessary it was. That text wasn’t as important as three lives, and it never will be.