Feedback on "Wrecking Ball" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Wrecking Ball"

January 13, 2015
By phils.world GOLD, Staten Island, New York
phils.world GOLD, Staten Island, New York
15 articles 0 photos 3 comments

        The second my eyes fell onto the first word, I was addicted. Nothing would be able to  stop me from reading on, not even the end. "Wrecking Ball" by Kiaran Garg was the water I was waiting to fill my cup of interest. This piece of writing has something different, that makes it stand out from the paper. The plot deals with a dark aspect, a character to afraid to tell his friend he was gay. He had to endure the hurtful jokes his friend and the main character threw at him without meaning to offend. After several months while they were in college together, he finally has the courage to tell her. The most astonishing aspect of all, though, is that the author managed to end it all on a high note. The protagonist accepted her friend, gay or not. The combination of dark and yet enlightening made the piece unique in everyway.
           The author focused more on revealing the interesting plot line than on using descriptive words to convey all the scenery. However, this intriguing simplicity made it impossible to stop reading the story. I also loved the originality of "Wrecking Ball". This piece deals with an issue of how homophobes are dealt with in modern society. I haven't seen this idea in any flash fiction I have read. Finally, Kiaran Craig had a few fulfilling metaphors. For instance, it said "once one person said something funny or insulting, it snowballed from  there.'' She compared their conversation with the snowball effect.
          I want to praise and thank Kirian Garg for the writing piece. It truly broke down my walls too.