Understanding White Privilege This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Understanding White Privilege” by Jack C. was a big reality check. The examples he included of nonwhites being discriminated against by law enforcement and employers filled me with frustration and anger.

I am an African-American, but in my small island community I have never faced any real racial problems. However, I see it on the news and notice people calling each other harsh names online. Sometimes I’m insulted for being black when I go online, but I try to ignore these comments.

When Jack wrote, “6.8 percent of white workers are unemployed; the number of unemployed black workers is more than double that,” it left me confused. Why would business owners reject black people? What really surprised me, though, is Jack’s reporting that “a 2003 study from Princeton University found that white men with criminal records were more likely to be hired than black men with identical or superior qualifications and no criminal record.”

This article clearly shows how there is still racism in the United States. Jack presented and explained the information in a very professional way. Kudos to you, Jack.