"May 1944" by Josie C. | Teen Ink

"May 1944" by Josie C.

December 12, 2014
By chesca.potter BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
chesca.potter BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you are lucky enough to be different, don't ever change." - Taylor Swift


"May 1944" by Josie Crawford is a fiction piece about Americans bombing a school. The names of the characters give hints that it might be in Germany. It talks about how they could hear the bombs start to get closer. Eventually, they got to the school. The main character survives the bombing and it describes her trying to get out of the building.


I liked the part when it talked about how Franz was trying to comfort his girlfriend Agnes. " 'Once this is all over, we're going to get married. I'll build you a house - with a garden and lots of bedrooms for all the kids you want. There'll be a river near by, and maybe a cow or two. You can paint the living room yellow and the kitchen blue. Put flowers on the ceiling and pies on the windowsills. Anything you want.' " I think this is so sweet and beautiful.
When the bomb hit the school, Franz died. Agnes was rocking back and forth and kept repeating what Franz had said and saying that she would do those things in honor of him. I thought that part of the story was really sad and emotional and that is why I loved it!