A Letter to Icy | Teen Ink

A Letter to Icy MAG

By nzlato GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
nzlato GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

“You told me I could never turn you cold, but you should know that sometimes it snows in Texas.” Just five lines – one sentence – is all it takes to get Kayla M.’s message in the amazingly eye-opening “A Letter to Icy.” We’ve all had the situation: you get out of a friendship, relationship, or whatever, and you resent or despise the person. They think they’re better than you or they’re more popular … Been there! Done that! Kayla makes it clear to whom she’s writing: the icy, the cold, the mean, the haters – people everyone has had the misfortune of stumbling across. This poem is telling these people, “You think you’re so cool, but don’t get ahead of yourself because I will get you.”

The poet uses a beautiful metaphor of ice and snow to depict personality traits, but also uses Texas as an example. You know, they say “Don’t mess with Texas,” but those cold, hard egos need to be messed with just like snow messes with Texas. Overall I think that Kayla’s poem “A Letter to Icy” is unusual because it directly goes after the people who have hurt her. It is really well written and makes the reader think.