Feedback on "My Brother" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "My Brother"

December 4, 2014
By bluebelugawhale GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
bluebelugawhale GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"april's day transcends november's year" ee cummings


     "My brother and I are waiting for our parents to open the door to the house since we no longer live there....They aren't happy with my brother, and they aren't happy with me for loving my brother." In these powerful lines that hit me with the force of a speeding truck, Lena Reshaw shows both the beauty in her relationship with her brother, and the skill in her writing. The author describes the evolution of her relationship with her brother in "My Brother," allowing the reader to follow her sibling relationship from innocent to experienced.
        I loved every aspect of this story. I felt breathless at the vivid descriptions, imagery, and the poetically simple manner in which the author captured her love for her brother. I am an only child and have never really had a clear picture of siblings' relationships, but I finally understood when I read this piece. Lena's description made me feel the intensity of familial love, and my own love went out to these complex people. Lena describes seeing her brother through monopoly games, bullies, and superhero obsessions, but it was what she left unsaid that hit me the hardest. At the end, she describes her older, hardened parents struggling with her brother's sexuality - but rather than stating it directly, she handles such an issue with a delicate touch. With powerful emotions and a descriptive style, Lena Reshaw's story was very near perfection and had me close to tears even after the final word.